What does it take to become a successful architect? Here are ten top qualities of the most accomplished architects:
- Has Good Communication Skills: A great architect has excellent written and verbal communication skills and can hold effective discussions with clients and builders to ensure each party has sufficiently communicated their wants and needs for the project at hand.
- Employs Excellent Listening Skills: An architect must have superb listening skills in order to fully grasp what it is the client is after, as well as to effectively understand the needs of builders and other parties involved in executing an architect’s design.
- Shows Strong Drawing/Sketching Skills: A great architect must have high quality drawing and sketching skills, either via computer program or by hand.
- Has an Excellent Sense of Design: Great architects have an eye for good design and can translate ideas onto paper to show clients and builders.
- Possesses Solid Technical Abilities: Great architects are able to successfully integrate mechanical, electrical, and structural elements into their designs as well as account for the unique requirements of particular building materials.
- Is Able To Problem Solve: A great architect must have sharp problem solving skills. They need to be able to identify problems as soon as they arise (or before they arise) and develop rapid solutions to address them.
- Has a Good Sense of Business: Architects should be keenly aware of the business side of the design world in order to develop practical design solutions.
- Believes in Collaboration: Architects must be able to work in a team environment – many designs are the work of more than one architect. The entire design-build process, as well, is a collaboration between architects, engineers, designers, and builders.
- Can Visualize a Project: A great architect has a good sense of vision. They are able to visualize the end results through all steps of the designing and building processes.
- Has a Passion for His/Her Work: The most accomplished architects are the ones who work in the field because they love it. Passionate architects tend to have a tremendous drive and work ethic, as well.
Creativity, longevity and intrinsicality
- I’m sort of naive in architecture as I’m about to begin college, but I feel a good architect has to possess the quality of longevity, creativity, an intrinsicality. He has to be steadfast with his work; be very out-of-the-ordinary and also distinguished in the delivery of his work. Also, the quintessence has to exist right from the draft/sketch to the finished goal of his project. I feel if an architect emits all these, then the sky is the limit.
The quality of a great architect
- He must have love and passion for the career. Like Gorege Washington said,”anything you love enough must reveal its secret to you.” He must understand that being an architect is more than piling stones to erect a building. As a designer he must not only design to satisfy his client but also to satisfy his deepest feelings. He must be patient and he must have a high level of tolerance, courage to stand critics, because they will criticize your work.
- A good architect should be able to think broadly and be able to imagine. An architect should also be so creative and should be patient in the sense of earning quick money. Many people want to be become architects because they say they earn lots of money. Yes it is true, but that should not be the major reason as to why one should take up architecture.
Passion, Imagination, and Faith
- If Frank Lloyd Wright was still alive, I believe he would say passion. Why mention him? Consider this, a college dropout and unlicensed (if I’m not mistaken) he went on to become one of the most prominent architects in the 20th Century. He was recognized by the AIA for his work about 2 years before his death. Having a good imagination doesn’t hurt. Albert Einstein said that “imagination is more important than knowledge.” The built environment would be nothing more than mere talk without imagination (ie. “deconstructivism”- Frank Gehry’s arena). Regarding faith, one may ask what does faith has to do with architecture? The best demonstration of one’s faith (or belief) is to create something out of nothing, hence the essence of architecture (depending on who you ask). In a sense, every person is an architect. Why? because we have the ability to design and build our lives.
Qualities of a Great Architect.
- Flexibility, very good exposure, optimism, knowledge, sociability, friendliness, and continual practice can make a good architect.